This is the final IYPT show and this month’s playlist is inspired by the TV program Seven Wonders One Planet by David Attenborough, and chemical elements named after places. Combined together I’m going to travel on a musical odyssey around the globe visiting the seven continents, as well as travelling into outer space, to take in some stellar areas that have helped name elements. With such a heavy itinerary to accomplish, the show took 2 hours and 50 minutes to do. Some historical events, one death and two birthdays influence the song choices too. These are my complete lab book notes.
Angie’s Allsorts Show 233 Hospital Radio Leighton 26th November 2019
1. NEIL DIAMOND with AMERICA (Am-AMERICIUM 95): Continent 1 Americas)
2. TINA TURNER with NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS (Birthday 1939 so 80 today, born Nutbush Tennessee)
3. DOLLY PARTON with MY TENNESSEE MOUNTAIN HOME (Ts-TENNESSINE 117)
4. MAMAS & PAPAS with CALIFORNIA DREAMIN (Cf-CALIFORNIUM 98, Bk-BERKELIUM 97, Lv-LIVERMORIUM 116 after the Lawrence Livermore Lab in California.
5. JOHN DENVER with ALASKA & ME (Continent 2 Arctic)
6. MATT MONRO with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (Ru-RUTHENIUM 44 from Latin for Russia Rhuthenia; Db-DUBNIUM 105 from Dubna in Russia, Fl-FLEROVIUM 114 for Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions located in Dubna Russia. : Continent 2 Arctic & Continent 3 Europe)
7. KENNY BALL with MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW (Mc-MOSCOVIUM 115)
CONNECTION CONUNDRUM (travel down to Baikonur Kazakhstan for launch across the universe)
8. BEATLES with ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (He-HELIUM 2 for Helios Greek for Sun, Se-SELENIUM 34 from Selene Greek for the moon, Pd-PALLADIUM 46 for Pallas an asteroid, Ce-CERIUM 58 for dwarf planet Ceres, Hg-MERCURY 80-the swift Roman God rather than the planet, U-URANIUM 92 for planet Uranus, Np-NEPTUNIUM 93 for Neptune, Pu-PLUTONIUM 94 for dwarf planet Pluto.
9. CILLA BLACK with WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE (Latin for Earth Tellus gives Te-TELLURIUM 52)
10. NATASHA BEDINGFIELD with SINGLE (Birthday born 1981 so 38 today)
Answer: NOT Both Cilla and all the Beatles hail from Liverpool and shared a manager in Brian Epstein. These two songs were recorded specially as part of a compilation charity album for the World Wildlife Fund WWF. The album was called No One’s Gonna Change Our World and released on December 12th 1969, just in time for Christmas. All the stars which included Rolf Harris, The Hollies, Spike Milligan, The Bee Gees, Lulu, Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick & Titch, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Bruce Forsyth & Harry Secombe offered their services for free. Composers, Publishers, and Recording companies waived their fees as well, to enable all royalties from record sales benefit the World Wildlife Fund.
Launch: 11. FRANK SINATRA (Fr-FRANCIUM 87, Na-SODIUM 11, K-POTASSIUM 19. Si-SILICON 14, N-NITROGEN 7, At-ASTATINE 85, Ra-RADIUM 88 (other variations) with FLY ME TO THE MOON (Se-SELENIUM 34 for the moon)
Rarity Record of the Week: 12. JIMI HENDRIX with VALLEYS OF NEPTUNE (Np-NEPTUNIUM 93)
Return: 13. PETER SCHILLING with MAJOR TOM (COMING HOME) (Theme for Deutschland 83 & 86)
(Ge-GERMANIUM 32 from Latin Germania for Germany, Re-RHENIUM 75 Latin Rhenus for the Rhine, Ds-DARMSTADTIUM 110 for Darmstadt where it was discovered, Hs-HASSIUM 108 from Latin Hassius for the Hesse region)
14. BONNIE TYLER with LOST IN FRANCE (Ga-GALLIUM 31 from the Latin Gallia, Fr-FRANCIUM 87)
15. TONY MARTIN with LAST TIME I SAW PARIS (Lu-LUTETIUM 71 from the Latin name for Paris Lutetia)
16. NATALIE COLE with AS TIME GOES BY (Historical Event: Film Casablanca had its World Premier on this day in New York 1942: Continent 4 Africa)
17. TOMMY DORSEY with NIGHT IN SUDAN (Historical Death Dorsey died 1956)
Linking Lyrics Slot: Theme TUTANKHMUN (Exhibition Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh at Saatchi Gallery London has 150 objects from his tomb on display from this month until May 2020)
18. BANGLES with WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN
19. ROLF HARRIS with TUTANKHAMUN
20. TOTO with AFRICA (safari in Kenya, visit Victoria Falls, Table Mountain in Cape Town South Africa.
21. RIMSKY KORSAKOV’S SONG OF INDIA (indirect references: Be-BERYLLIUM 4 from Belur India, In-INDIUM 49 for India: Continent 5 Asia). Note-113 Nihonium is named after Japan-song played in show two.
22. SEEKERS with I AM AUSTRALIAN (Continent 6 Australia)
23. DURAN DURAN with MY ANTARCTICA (Continent 7 Antarctica)
Essential Stopover: Antarctica/South America/Europe:
24. JULIE COVINGTON with DON’T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA (Continent 1 Americas)
25. AMICII with OLYMPIA ETERNAL FLAME (Cu-COPPER 29 for Cyprus, Mg-MAGNESIUM 12 from Magnesia in Thessaly region. Mount Olympus on border area of Thessaly & Macedonia.
Flyover mainland Europe especially Poland (Po-POLONIUM 84) heading for Denmark.
26. DANISH NATIONAL RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA with COPENHAGEN STEAM RAILWAY GALLOP (Hf-HAFNIUM 72 from Latin Hafnia for Copenhagen)
27. AVICII with SOMEWHERE IN STOCKHOLM (Ho-HOLMIUM 67 from Latin Holmia for Stockholm) NOTE: Not far from Stockholm the village of Ytterby has named four elements: Y-YTTRIUM 39, Tb-TERBIUM 65, Er-ERBIUM 68, Yb-YTTERBIUM 70,. Six other rare-earth elements were discovered in the village Sc-SCANDIUM 21, Gd-GADOLINIUM 64, Dy-DYSPROSIUM 66, HOLMIUM 67, Tm-THULIUM 69, and LUTETIUM 71.
Travel through Scandinavia & Northern regions such as Greenland, Iceland and Faroe Islands looking for the Northern Lights.
28. RENAISSANCE with NORTHERN LIGHTS. Back in Scotland we stop off for a good Scots breakfast in the village of Strontian which gave its name to the element Sr-STRONTIUM 38
29. RACHMANINOV PIANO CONCERTO NO 2 EXCERPT (Historical Event: Film Brief Encounter went on general release in 1945)
30. EUROPE with THE FINAL COUNTDOWN (Eu-EUROPIUM 63)